Grimaud and its medieval and Provençal village testify of a history going back in time, from the time Gallo-Roman. Formerly the biggest village of the territory with 1000 villagers, Grimaud gave its name to the territory: "the Gulf of Grimaud" until the end of the XIXth century which then became the current and well-known "Gulf of St Tropez".
A dominant point in the territory, Grimaud commanded the Gulf until the 17th century, a strategic point of control from the north and the Massif des Maures. The inhabitants lived until then within the walls of the Castle. Step by step, the village spread out. It is remarkable thanks to the construction of still present vestiges such as the Church of St Michel, the chapel of the Penitents, the chapel St Roch, the mill St Roch and much lower, the chapel Notre Dame de la Queste.
Note also the Bridge of the Fairies, which was part of an ingenious system to provide the village with water. The villagers then came to the present Place Neuve to fetch water from the fountain.
Grimaud has an architectural heritage, losing itself in the alleys to admire the period houses where the villagers bloom around the surrounding is a real pleasure. And of course it is not without forgetting its "recent" heritage with Port Grimaud!
The town is distinguished between land and sea and offers contrasting offers to its visitors. It is also classified in the "most beautiful detours of France".