As early as the eleventh century, the village of Grimaud has a modest Saint Michel church, whose appearance and location we do not know. It was replaced by this beautiful church of Provençal Romanesque style. The dimensions and quality of construction of this church in granite and limestone, prove the ease of the village at the end of the twelfth and the beginning of the thirteenth century. This edifice, originally covered with schist slates, has undergone some modifications in its original architecture such as the construction of the bell tower (16th century), the sacristy (18th century) or the widening of the openings to the south. Due to a cruel lack of space, the cemetery surrounding the church was moved to the Saint-Roch mill at the end of the 19th century.
Inside, there are some traces of ancient frescoes decorating the walls and the vault. Above the transept, a fresco of 1850, depicts Saint Michael, Saint Peter and Saint Bartholomew. The stained glass and resin windows were made by the jeweler Jacques Gautier in 1975. An organ was installed in 2015 by the workshop Pasqual Quoirin.
During the Middle Ages, the village stretched from the top of the hill, from the castle to the church. The Rue du Baladou (a small Provencal ball) served as a link between these places.